Love about this one:
- Sturdy build quality, both Lenovos have been dropped so often yet they keep going
- Touch control panel for mute & quiet fan mode (night time use)
- HD display, makes movies better
- Number pad (gotta have it for Civ and spreadsheets)
- Discrete video card
- HDMI port, we've played things thru to the TV off this before, 'course now with Roku we just drop it on a thumb drive....
- VGA port, I do use this for homeschooling stuff at the church
- Quiet keyboard, though his has a more mechanical key feel to it and I loathe the sound it makes
- Also it's a roomy keyboard
Want for future ones:
- Backlit keys
- IPS display with matte or anti-glare finish. Holy cats. For real here!
- Magnetic power cord, or at least one that doesn't have a 90 bend in it
- Better speakers
- Blu-ray drive, because really, I'm not going to rip all of those movies and sometimes we want to watch one in bed
- USB 3.0
- Still need a VGA out converter of some sort for the church's AV system, adapter will likely be required in the future
- Larger touchpad, but not if it will crowd out the keyboard and give me small keys
- I wish laptops had ergonomic keyboards :( Miss my old MS Natural.
- Better battery life
- Lighter weight, please, oh please.
- 802.11 ac wifi, which of course means I'll need a new router
Much of what I do could be done at a desktop. I could have a better keyboard again (oh Microsoft Sculpt, you look so shmexy and sleek, I want to touch you, feel you, press your keys and not hear you feedback one bit, but you will be TOO SLOW for gaming! I know you will! That's why all gamers have wired keyboards but I don't want the wires, do you hear me world? Do you hear and feel my lament? Oh but the separate number pad for Civ, oh couldn't I just try it? The SLOW will be my undoing!)... well that was supposed to be a longer sentence but I interrupted my thoughts with that paragraph sized digression.
Yeah, back to where I was. I like using the computer in the Ekornes recliner. My neck doesn't like looking down and my wrists hate the angle of awkwardness for typing. So a desktop could serve me well. Way better for gaming, I could finally get that media server going, one-stop printing because I'm too cheap to re-buy printers with wireless, on and on. If I hooked up the NAS again, at least one printer can be wireless though. Also, I'd be more likely to play some tunes. Our house is too quiet. All the stereos are gone or have croaked, so the only thing we have are extremely sub-par phone and laptop speakers upstairs. There's a decent soundbar on the TV downstairs with bluetooth, but it's DOWNSTAIRS.
Could I do most computing at a desk for better ergonomics and just use the phone for other stuff? I may spend less time on the computer if I don't have a laptop. But I do have to keep one for the AV system. Well I can't finish thinking about this today. My wrists are tired of typing.
I'd probably spend a lot more money if I didn't analyze future purchases like this from every angle possible, then inside out and all over again.